TOP TEN WAYS
TO MOTIVATE EMPLOYEES
PHR, CPC – President
“Being a manager can be an intimidating and challenging task. Managing involves teaching new skills to employees, helping land a new customer, accomplishing an important assignment, increasing performance, and much more. The process of management can be very challenging at times, but it can also bring you a sense of fulfillment that you never imagined possible.”
In an article extracted from “Managing for Dummies”, by Bob Nelson, Peter Economy, and Ken Blanchard, 10 items are given on how to motivate employees. Here they are:
- Personally thank employees for doing a good job one-on-one, in writing, or both. Do it timely, often, and sincerely
- Be willing to take the time to meet with and listen to employees – as much as they need or want.
- Provide employees specific and frequent feedback about their performance. Support them in improving performance.
- Recognize, reward, and promote high performers; deal with low and marginal performers so that they improve or leave.
- Provide information on how the company makes and loses money, upcoming products, and services and strategies for competing. Explain the employee’s role in the overall plan.
- Involve employees in decisions, especially as those decisions affect them. Involvement equals commitment.
- Give employees a chance to grow and learn new skills; encourage them to be their best. Show them how you can help them meet their goals while achieving the organization’s goals. Create a partnership with each employee.
- Provide employees with a sense of ownership in their work and their work environment. This ownership can be symbolic (for example, business cards for all employees, whether they need them to do their jobs or not).
- Strive to create a work environment that is open, trusting, and fun. Encourage new ideas, suggestions, and initiative. Learn from, rather than punish for, mistakes.
- Celebrate successes of the company, of the department, and of individuals in it. Take time for team-and morale-building meetings and activities. Be creative and fresh.
Do You Have Any Questions?
We would love the opportunity to assist you in taking your next steps- please feel free to call us directly at 772-232-9101 or complete the below form so that we may follow up with you.